(Original story published on Wednesday July 16th on FoodNetwork.ca.)
Let’s face it; in summer, the majority of our off-duty time is spent on patios, in backyards and by the lake, sipping on wine, sangria, or knocking back a couple cold ones.
Though we’re fairly certain we’ll never get tired of lounging under the sun, we feel like it’s about time to switch up our roster of summer bevvies.
And so, we’re putting a new spin on the ultimate summer drink, the mojito, by infusing it with refreshing servings of strawberries and lemon juice.
For under $10 and under 10 minutes, you can make four servings of this delicious, hot summer day cocktail, which we’re fairly certain is bound to become your new go-to drink.
8 lemon wedges
8 medium sized strawberries (including 4 for garnish)
24 mint leaves
4 mint sprigs for garnish
8 ounces rum
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 Tablepoons agave nectar
1 cup club soda
1. In a cocktail shaker muddle the lemon wedges, 4 strawberries and mint leaves. If you’re lacking bar tools (like me!), use a mason jar and a spoon.
2. Add rum, lemon juice, agave nectar, and ice cubs, and shake well.
3. Fill glasses with ice, and pour 1/4 cup club soda in each glass.
4. Strain the mix into each cup (if using a mason jar, use the lid as a strainer).
5. Garnish with strawberries and mint sprigs.