(Original story published on Friday October 31st, 2014, on FoodNetwork.ca.)
Get your scream on this Halloween—ice cream, that is—with these wickedly delicious ice cream sandwitches. But, you’ve got to be quick. Like the most naughty witches out there, they tend to melt rather quickly.
Made out of mint ice cream, double chocolate chip cookies, Hershey Kisses and a bit of coloured icing, flip through the slideshow to learn how to make these scary-good treats.
What you Need for 12 Ice Cream Sandwitches:
For the Cookies:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup premium cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Hat:
Batch of icing
Purple food colouring
Orange Food Colouring
For the “Face”:
Mint ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a small bowl, microwave the butter and 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
4. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a larger bowl, and add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined (about 45 seconds).
5. Gradually pour in flour mixture, mixing by hand with a wooden spoon as you go.
6. Pour in the rest of the chocolate chips, and mix.
7. Using two spoons, scoop about 1 inch of batter onto the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
8. Use food colouring to dye one batch of icing purple, and the other orange, and prepare the icing pumps.
9. Use icing as glue, and apply a blob to the bottom of the Hershey Kiss, and press it firmly onto the centre of the cookie.
10. Using the purple icing pump, outline the base of the Kiss.
11. Add the hat medallion with the orange icing pump.
12. Pair the ‘hat’ cookies with a base cookie of the same size.
13. Use a serated knife to cut through the ice cream container to make about a 1.5 inch slab. Then, cut circles out of the ice cream, and set one inside each pair of cookies.
And there you have it! But remember: you’ve got to act fast and eat them before they melt.